10) "LIMA GROUP" STEPS UP INTERFERENCE IN VENEZUELA
PV Vancouver Bureau
The so-called “Lima Group” of 12 Latin American governments plus Canada has escalated its attempts to interfere in Venezuela's internal politics, claiming that President Maduro is not the country's legitimate leader, and even announcing new economic sanctions.
Solidarity groups warn that the Lima bloc’s stance reflects the hostility of the extreme right wing forces in Latin America, in which Brazil’s new Bolsonaro administration is now playing a central role in trying to eradicate all forms of progressive politics in the region.
Maduro was re-elected as Venezuela’s president last year with 68 per cent of the vote. The Lima Group has demanded that Maduro resign rather than begin his second term.
However, Mexico’s new President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador refused to support the Lima Group statement. Instead, Mexico’s Minister for Latin American and the Caribbean affairs, Maximiliano Reyes, has advocated peaceful dialogue and diplomacy towards Venezuela.
Dominguez said the Lima Group statement was “abjectly in line with the US aim of ‘regime change,’ a key objective of US foreign policy towards Bolivarian Venezuela since 1999 now massively intensified under Donald Trump and ex-CIA director, Mike Pompeo, current US State Secretary.”
He described the Lima Group’s stance as “probably one of the most shameful acts of abject political servility to Uncle Sam committed by the region’s oligarchies.”
In another indication of the intensifying efforts to overthrow the government by any means possible, the Bolivarian Armed Forces of Venezuela
has repelled an attempted attack on their facilities in Caracas.
A statement, the Ministry of Defense reported that the situation occurred in the middle of the night of Jan. 21 at approximately at 2:50 local time.
"A small group of assailants assigned to the zone commando No. 43 of the Bolivarian National Guard, betraying their oath of allegiance to the Homeland and its institutions," said Captain Gerson Soto Martínez, commander of the Macarao police coordination post.
From their post, the assailants "moved on two military vehicles, then broke into the headquarters of the urban security outpost located in the town of Petare, Sucrem, removing a cache of weapons of war and kidnapping under threat of death, two officers and two national guard members of the aforementioned outpost."
He also detailed that the criminals surrendered and were captured at the headquarters of the Waraira Repano special security unit in Cotiza, in the town of Libertador, also affiliated with the Bolivarian National Guard." The Ministry of Defense explained that during the detention it was possible to recover the stolen weaponry. In addition, the detainees "are providing information of interest to the intelligence agencies and the military justice system."
The Bolivian Armed Forces categorically rejected these acts, "which are certainly motivated by dark interests of the extreme right and are contrary to the basic rules of military discipline, honor and the traditions of our institution."
The president of the National Constituent Assembly (ANC), Diosdado Cabello, rejected the theft of military installations and said that the intention was to generate violence and anxiety in the population.
(The above article is from the February 1-14, 2019, issue of People's Voice, Canada's leading socialist newspaper. Articles can be reprinted free if the source is credited. Subscription rates in Canada: $30/year, or $15 low income rate; for U.S. readers - $45 US per year; other overseas readers - $45 US or $50 CDN per year. Send to People's Voice, c/o PV Business Manager, 706 Clark Drive, Vancouver, BC, V5L 3J1.)